Friday, October 20, 2006

Passing The Tourch

Twelfth graders use a PowerPoint presentation they created to train the new managment

Thursday was a big day.  It was the day picked to officially hand over control and management duties of the Photo Lab to the next generation.

Twelfth grade learners had spent the previous three days preparing a workshop for the eleventh graders on Photo Lab activities, management and organization.  On Thursday they conducted the workshop and presented a training program which the eleventh graders will use next year to train staff.

Terrance demonstrates the proper way to power on/off the camera and take pictures

I'm sure this moment will go down as a highlight in my service as I look back years from now.  I sat in the back of the classroom and just watched.  Most of these learners had little experience giving presentations but despite this they did an amazing job.  I was surprised to see the level of detail and care they put into everything.

I was also amused at what they had picked up on over the course of a year.  For example, they taught about "disturbing elements" in photographs, which was something I taught the photography club and they apparently liked enough to repeat it.  I think it's mostly the name, but they got the concept behind it as well.

They also had a blast going through all the complicated steps to save, edit and print pictures.  They even held a "practical" where they had the eleventh graders handle the camera and perform some of the work on the computer.

The "practical" where the twelfth graders had the eleventh graders do the things they talked about in the workshop.Downloading pictures from the camera to the computer properly actually one of the most difficult parts

I have to say I'm damn proud of this crew and I'm sad to see them go.  But looking at this excited group of 8 eleventh graders, I know next year will be even better.

No comments: