Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Matrix Season

Well, it's Matrix season here.  The end of the school year for the 12th graders is a very big deal.  Hage Geingob High School has it's Matrix Farewell (Prom) this Friday and I have been busy this week making preparations.

Some girls primping and prepping for their big debut in front of the camera.Being such a small class (75 in all) they are very close and supportive of each other.
Friziana (frits-ee-anna), a very involved learner: Girls Club, choir and athleticsJuhwaney (Ge-oh-van-ee) is very involved in the computer lab: Photography Club, Tech Squad, Tech Assistant.

Another teacher and I have put together a nice package of things for them to remember their school experience by.  We made nice book marks with a picture of the school on it, glass cups with an etched logo of the school, and I am currently working on a nice picture of each learner.

The pictures are quite an ordeal to get through.  They (even the guys) are very picky about how they look in the pictures and I sometimes have to retake them five or six times to get one they like.  But perhaps that's more a reflection of my photography skills rather than the culture of picture taking...

I will also be taking pictures at the Matrix Farewell Friday, doing the typical prom thing; pictures with friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, whatever.  I'm actually really looking forward to this event, which is surprising if you know me- I don't care much for big parties, especially ones where you will likely be asked to dance.  These learners may not have gotten great grades, nor will they have many options for employment once they graduate, but they can still enjoy this one night as a huge accomplishment.

No comments: