Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ahh, Internet...

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usAhh, good old high-speed internet.  I've got my computer connected to a decent-speed internet connection for the first time in months.  What's the first thing a true computer guy does in this situation?  Email? No.  News? No.  Computer updates?  Oh yeah!  It's a constant annoyance thinking that there are updates for my computer and software that I can't get access to.  Now I'll have them!  Happy day!![cut]

On my way downtown today (Saturday) there was a small parade for an African Youth organization.  What was most cool about seeing this parade was actually knowing some of the youth that were in it.  I was first scocked when I started hearing my name- "Mr. S!  Mr. S!".  But then I saw several learners from the high school, as well as a few from the hostel I live at.  It was the first time I got to whip my camera out to snap a few shots and not feel like a tourist.

I decided not to go to Omaruru this weekend after wasting half of yesterday waiting for the guys to fix our internet problems.  I say waste because after I agreed to wait at the school for them to return for more than three hours, they called and said that they would just work on it from the office.  In all the excitement from Thursday (getting packages from home) I almost forgot: this is Africa.  As if to drive this point home, I got home Friday to find that the plumbers fixing my hot water heater.  After a solid two hours of work, they bolted without even talking to me.  I found immediately that I had hot water (yippeee!!) but when I went to the kitchen (where the heater is), it was leaking water all over the place.  I have to turn it off and shut the hot water off.  So, now I'm without hot water for a totally different reason.

Ahh, updates are still downloading... what a great feeling!!

Next weekend I have at least two PCV's staying at my place.  There may be one or two more.  Good to enjoy this lonely weekend (so far) while I've got it.  I now have plenty of entertainment options.  Until next time![/cut]

No comments: