Monday, February 06, 2006

Adapting

Each week now brings new adaptations to my new home.  Just today I took a taxi back to Katatura at 5:00 in the afternoon to pickup something I left at school.  Just a week ago this task seemed dangerous, problematic, and even scary.  But now I know where to catch the taxis, how much it will cost, and most importantly what to expect.  Yesterday I met up with another volunteer who was in town for a medical visit and I showed her around, taking short cuts, getting lost, but always knowing roughly where I was.  I had a short conversation with the guard at the school in Afrikaans.  I laughed and joked when some teens lied to me again rather than take it personally. I’ve learned that lying here is not the same as it is in the states: it’s like a game among men here, and something for the women to make fun of.  It may seem sexist, but it’s exactly the way it is.  Yeah, I’m adapting slowly, but it’s happening all the same.

The highlight of the week had to be our school choir singing during assembly.  I was expecting a jumble of uncoordinated, unpracticed and unenthusiastic group to match the athletic teams I’d seen the previous week.  Instead I was very surprised to see choreographed dances and hear wonderful harmonics.  The teacher that leads the choir has always struck me as a little odd, but he showed a different side as the leader of the choir; dancing and singing along with them.  Next time they sing I’ll be sure to record it for all of you.

The big task this week became splitting my classes.  Some of the classes got so big it was ridiculous.  I found a way to split the larger classes and still keep learners on the computers for the same amount of time, but it has meant giving up a lot of my free periods.  But I would much rather give up some free time for 20 learner classes than have to recover from six 40 learner classes each day.  Having one learner per computer will make all the difference in lesson planning as well.  You just can’t teach computer skills if half the class isn’t using a computer.

The weeks sure are flying.  I can’t believe it’s been five weeks since school started, and six since swearing in.  Reconnect is just around the corner. 

I spoke with Waldo yesterday.  He wanted to make sure I don’t put myself in an awkward position by allowing PCV’s to stay at my place when they aren’t supposed to be in town.  Apparently some previous volunteers got in trouble for this.  Waldo is a great guy, and I have tremendous respect for him.  He has a way of changing the tone of his voice so that you know when what he is saying is from him, and when it’s from his boss.  I could tell which angle this request was flying from.  I’m going to try to talk with Jeff (our country director) about Windhoek safety; it’s not near as bad as he’s saying it is. 

I’ve finally found an internet café downtown that allows me to connect USB devices.  It’s more expensive then all the others, but it’s worth it.  I can even connect my webcam to do video conferencing! I’ll be heading back there tomorrow morning to post this blog entry and get my pictures organized.

One last thing of note: I love it here.  I love doing work that means so much to everyone around you.  I love being in a new place.  I love having new experiences every week.  I love having time to relax, sleep, and enjoy life.  I love the way the world looks when viewing it from Africa

No comments: