Sunday, July 09, 2006

All Quiet...

What a quiet weekend!  I heard from no volunteers (except for sms's) the entire weekend, so I assume no one was in town.  Robin stopped by Thursday night on her way through town, but other than that I saw no one.  I enjoyed the quiet and got a lot of cleaning, reading and sleeping in.  I managed to do quite a bit of eating and walking too.

So in the interest in keeping up with my blog and posting something I offer this:  I have cleaned and organized my kitchen area.  Exciting, isn't it?  It ended up being a great idea for reasons I hadn't considered before I started.  Half way through cleaning out the storage area in the top of my closet I came across a huge cockroach nest.  There were probably several dozen of them all living happily and crapping all over the place.  So the great cockroach massacre began.  I was thinking of leaving one of the dead bodies pinned to the wall as a sort of war memorial, but then decided that would be gross. 

All my food, pots, pans and other kitchen stuff nicely organized.I put up (hung) a little shelf for the spices.  Isn't it great?  I love it.

So that's it.  The week at school as more of the usual.  I've had meetings with the ministry regarding computer training, website development and mobile computer labs, but nothing much has progressed yet.  African time.  I'm hoping to have something exciting to report later this week as I start a Desktop Publishing and Digital Photography workshop for employees of a local nonprofit.  I'm also taking some of the teens from our school downtown next Saturday to teach them how to work on computers.  We will be setting up a computer lab at the public library and reformatting a lab at the Ministry of Education.

Back at school, movie Fridays are a huge hit.  I've shown two so far and will continue them as soon as the projector is fixed (it was broken after our last movie two weeks ago).  Photographs are selling like hot cakes.  For N$5 anyone can get their picture taken and printed in full photo-quality on a printer I bought for the school.  I've been printing 20 to 30 pictures a day and volume seems to be increasing.  I'll be doing class photographs next week.

I'm starting to feel like I have a normal job now: meetings, stress and preparation.  No more procrastination.  Speaking of which, I need to get that workshop ready for next week.

No comments: