Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Nearing the End

Well, it's the end of term 2 which means a break is approaching and tests are eminent.  This also means that it's invigilation season.  I learned that the previous Peace Corps volunteer here refused to invigilate after his first experience with it.  I no longer blame him.  It's incredibly boring and very frustrating. 

   
Learners before the exam doing some last minute studying.  Each testing period is two hours.  Learners get from 0 to 90 minutes to study before each exam.An 8th grade learner smiling for the camera just minutes before taking a math testAn 8th Grade class taking a math test.

Before each exam learners have time to "study", which most take literally, but some interpret as free time.  My first experience with this was very bad.  Last term I fought for quiet and begged for discipline.  This term its a bit different and a little easier.   I allow free study (groups) until the volume get too loud, then switch to completely silent individual study.  This acts as a deterrent and has, so far made the whole experience much more enjoyable.  After the study time the test begins.  I haven't caught anyone cheating yet but I'm pretty certain that cheating is as prevalent here as in the States.  A few brave ones try it, but for the most part people do their own work.

   
Teachers during the morning rush: getting tests ready for learnersMr. Tjozongoro with a large stack of History examsNo collating printers here- it's all done by hand!

We have some new rules at the school now regarding invigilation.  Teachers who are invigilating must stand, circulate and monitor for the entire test period.  This is a very difficult thing to pull off, especially for those 2-hour tests.  I used to read and type emails, but now I just stand and pace.  Tomorrow I'm going to try reading while standing to see if I can't find a happy balance. I'm also going to see what other teachers are doing to make sure I'm not the only one following the rules.

Other than the constant "quiet please!" and never ending silent pacing, it's a pretty easy day and I can't complain.  If only we could pay the parents to invigilate for us...

No comments: