Thursday, December 08, 2005

Day 30

Other than a short language class, a short conversation with the Omaruru clerk, and typing up some Afrikaans language notes, not much was accomplished. I spent a good part of the afternoon on the Internet at the ORC getting my blog updated and new pictures up. In the evening, I also organized my journal on my computer (it's now 26,000 words!) and am finding some tricks that will enable me to write my blogs before getting on the Internet.
Some follow-ups:
Since the ORC's only public-access internet computer was taken out by the storm, I (and my wireless internet cafe setup) am the only way for others to get online. I think Internet use will be cut down a bit over the next few weeks until that computer is fixed.
I won the war with the mosquitoes. I've had to suffer 90 degree heat when I go to bed at night due to keeping the windows closed, but the pay off is that I don't wake up in the night with buzzing in my ears and fresh bites on my arms.
There have been some... incidents. I don't have all the information yet, so I won't just yet put the details, but the gist is that some PCT's made some bad decisions, and the PeaceCorps seemed to over-react. There were threats of being sent home and much crying. Things seem to be nearing resolution, but like I said, I want to have the facts before going into details.
The Omaruru group met to plan for our host family appreciation event. We decided on an American-themed dinner: hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoe salad, apple pie, the whole things. Our families seemed to really like this idea- they're looking forward to eating some somewhat authentic American food.
It has been 30 days since this journey began. Just to jog your (and my) memory, here are some highlights:
Day 1: I meet my first PCT while deplaning in Phili.
Day 3: Funny skits and light-hearted conversation before leaving the States.
Day 4: We get our first details about what to expect
Day 6: An amazing welcome to Omaruru
Day 7: Omaruru in all it’s African beauty
Day 10: Language lessons
Day 12: People get sick
Day 16: The hardest day ever
Day 19: Settling in
Day 23: My new host family
Day 27: Storms and work
Ahh, memories. Today should be a day of note: a trip to Windhoek to meet with Microsoft, SchoolNet, and the Ministry.

No comments: