Sunday, December 11, 2005

Day 33

Still having computer problems, although the randomness of the shut-offs worked in my favor. I spent a good hour yesterday online without any problems. But then later in the day I was trying out a Linux program (OpenLab 4) and it cut out. Frustrating.
We thoroughly enjoyed our day off. It was a cooler day, actually a bit cold in the morning (near 65 degrees). Partly cloudy skies helped keep the temperatures low all day- what a treat. It's getting very humorous for me to hear the locals complain about the weather. It's a part of any conversation you have with anyone in this town, the phrase "Oh, it's sooo hot!" comes up. It's as if one was expecting it to be cooler, or everyone had just, that day, moved to Omaruru, Namibia and were shocked to find it was a desert. The heat has not bothered me at all. I haven't burned since I've been here, and as long as I've got my hat and water, I could walk all day out in the sun! Even the 90 degree nights aren't that bad. Who knew?
I'm totally digging Linux. Go to www.getopenlab.com to see what I'm talking about. It's a completely free operating system for a computer that comes with tons of educational programs, games, utilities, productivity programs (word, excel, powerpoint) and more. I'm thinking of loading it on the lab computers at Okombahe next week.
Jay and I have restructured the trainings for the next two weeks. Instead of working in different towns, we will work together in the same lab, taking turns facilitating. We will also run three classes a day, two for adults (a beginners and advanced) and one for the kids after school. They will be long days, but I imagine we'll learn a great deal. The classes start next Tuesday (Monday is prep day) and run through next Wednesday. Thursday the 22nd is certificate presentation day, and that Friday is cleanup day.
The 22nd is also when we all move out of our host families homes and back to camp. This has become a much anticipated day as we are all missing each other and looking forward to story-telling. We'll spend the following two weeks having our Christmas party, doing AIDS, TRC, and IT workshops, and otherwise working very hard and trying not to complain about it.
January 6th. That is the day. The 6th is when we are set free. Everything that happens now is just a means to getting to this day. Once we are sworn in at Windhoek in front of the mayor and other important people, then we are free. We've learned from other PCV's that "service" (post-6th work) is nothing like training (pre-6th work). Ahh, service. It's like a wonderful dream hanging on the horizon, soon to be encountered. Service; the fantastic end to this difficult journey. A reward to enduring training. The reason we joined in the first place. Service is coming.
All us Omaruru guys got together at the end of the day Saturday to hang out. We listened to music, watched a bit of "Big Fish", and played cards. Today (Sunday) we may use the swimming pool located at the German bakery. They charge $10 per person, and it just may be worth it!
I'll probably not post for a while. With Monday starts very long days. We'll be getting up early to catch a ride to Okombahe, training all day, getting back at 16h00 for language training, then hopefully home to eat around 18h30. I'll try to get some pictures of the model school while I'm there. I know Mike and Amy are teaching at Okombahe, so count on pictures of them. Until next time

No comments: