Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Coffee Break

A laptop and cup of Jo.  What better way to get some work done than at a coffee shop?

Being in the largest city in Namibia was not what I was expecting when I signed up for the Peace Corps.  I figured as an IT volunteer I'd have access to the basics; power, water, Internet.  But spending my time in the capital city that looks much like a small western city was not part of my perception of Peace Corps.

 At first it was difficult to deal with.  Other volunteers started sharing their experiences of village life and small town ambiance.  Visiting PCVs would make comments about Windhoek like "Wow, it's like being back in the States!" and "it's so nice to get a vacation from real Africa!" and I'd feel a little awkward. 

But experience changes perception, and in this case I have been pleasantly surprised. I've found townships in the outskirts of town that look much like locations in rural villages.  I've found schools where teaching standards are just as poor as in other areas of Namibia.  And most importantly, I've found people.  Wonderful people, Namibians.  I've seen first hand the reality of income disparity.  I've worked directly with those who need help the most and chatted with those who don't need any help at all.

The thing I've enjoyed the most about living and working in Windhoek is the sheer volume of opportunities here. I could easily fill a day working with other NGO's, civil and religious organizations and schools.  I've setup computer labs in libraries and community centers.  I've visited schools.  I've conducted computer classes for teachers, government employees and community members.  There's so much that I could be doing here that I never get bored.

So here's to big city volunteer work.  It may not have the same challenges as living in a clay hut and bathing in a bucket, but it has it definitely has its benefits.

No comments: