Friday, April 07, 2006

Another Weekend

Last weekend was a busy one.  I had two volunteers staying the night Friday, three more Saturday, on Sunday four left and one came in, but everyone was gone by Tuesday.  I didn't get squat done last weekend- not even the laundry.  What amazes me most is just how much I don't stink; maybe you don't need to wash everything each week...  I'm going to start rotating my clothes, washing every two weeks.  Hand washing your clothes is really hard on the fabric, my pants are stretching and my shirts are thinning out.  The less washing you can get away with without colleges avoiding you, the better.

I did, however, have a great weekend.  The stories are pretty much all the same; volunteers come in, we shop, we eat, we hang.  Then everyone goes home.  I'm looking forward to seeing three volunteers this weekend, one of which is brining two learners who are competing in the National athletics competition.

[cut]

I just keep counting down the days to reconnect.  It's like a big family reunion where you look forward to seeing your favorite relatives just as much as looking forward to laughing at the crazy ones.  We're going to have a blast.

I've organized a trip to the Fish River Canyon with a touring company.  They will bus us down there and pick us up on the other side.  I have yet to figure out if the canyon is even open (because of all the flooding this year), but I have a backup plan.  In the course of researching this trip, I found another one that I really want to do.  The Namib desert (south west of Windhoek) has a 130k, 7-day backpacking trail that is supposed to be one of the most difficult, isolated and beautiful in Africa.  I'm hoping to find three other adventurous PCV's to tackle it with me in October.  Should be a blast!

Testing at the school is what I call "crazy-organized", which is not to infer that the organization is really great, just that it's a crazy kind of organization.  Today there are only two grades testing, which means the rest of the school remains locked in their classrooms (although as I type this I hear several learners goofing off outside).  But by next Monday all the tests will be done.  Crazy organized.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Mr. |Hohobeb and I will be reformatting the server here and reinstalling everything.  That will make for a great learning experience for him and will help me organize the computers and files (crazy-organized works well for some things, not for others).  Next week I'll be reformatting all the computers in the lab to get ready for next term when we will be making music and producing movies.  It's going to be a blast!

Aside from a few other things I'll write about later, that sums up the past week.

[/cut]

No comments: