Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Break!

Well, it's finally here.  Tests are done and graded.  Kids have been sent home for the one month break.  And PeaceCorps reconnect is just two days away.  Our first official vacation since we've been here, and we've earned it!  It's amazing to think that we've been in Namibia for more than 6 months: half a year!  Even from the very brief stories I've heard from the PCV's I can tell that everyone worked a little harder than they thought they would have to at basics they thought were, well... basic.  The includes subject material like basic addition and subtraction, as well as cultural interaction that has manifested in dealing with constant lying, low self standards and lack of motivation.  The full stories this weekend and next week will be very interesting.[cut]

After school was done Thursday I headed straight home to start reading.  Dan joined me shortly (he was concerned about getting a ride to town and found one right after school that was headed straight to Windhoek).  Dan and I had a great weekend of talking, reading and cooking.  We made enchiladas, chimichungas and pancakes.  We also completed two books between the two of us and had a great, relaxing time.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usMonday brought more visitors: 13 more in total.  Everyone is staying at the hostel here: I arranged for rooms for everyone who wanted to come into Windhoek early.  Last night we had a blast doing karaoke at a great Chinese restaurant in Klien Windhoek.  Not sure what will happen tonight, but with an additional 10 people joining us, I think we'll be splitting up into smaller groups.

I'm looking forward to reconnect, but I'm really excited about our vacation time afterwards.  Our plans to backpack the fish river in the south fell through when I found out it will be flooded during the time we wanted to go.   The alternatives are pretty much north to Victoria falls or south to Capetown or Johannesburg.  I think I'll be going north, but I'm not sure yet.  Last minute plans are a way of life here!

I'm not sure if I'll have access to the Internet while at reconnect, which is located in a conference center about 10k outside of town.  If so, I'll post the picts and the stories, otherwise you won't hear from me in more than 10 days.  Hasta la vista![/cut]

No comments: